About the project
Title of the project
Life for the Bourgas Lakes(LIFE08NAT/BG/000277)
The project is supported by the financial instrument of the EU LIFE+ Nature and Biodiversity.
- Ensure long term conservation of the protected areas from the ecological network Natura 2000 – “Mandra-Poda”, “Atanassovsko” and “Vaya” lakes which are important for the survival of priority bird species – Dalmatian Pelican, Pygmy Cormorant, Bittern, White-headed Duck and Ferruginous Duck.
- Maintain and enhance feeding, breeding and roosting habitats for priority bird species.
- Reduce the impact of direct and indirect threats on priority bird species.
- Enhance public understanding of and support for the conservation of priority bird species, their habitats and the wider Natura 2000 sites that are crucial for their long-term protection
The duration of the project is 4 years (January 2010 – December 2013)
The project will be implemented on the territory of Bourgas Municipality and will be focused on three wetlands from the Bourgas lakes complex – “Atanassovsko”, “Vaya” (“Bourgasko”) and “Mandra” lakes. These lakes are part of three protected areas from the ecological network Natura 2000 - “Mandra-Poda”, “Atanassovsko” and “Vaya” lakes.
The project partners are:
- Bourgas Municipality
- „Chernomorsk solnitsi” JSC, Bourgas
Maintain and enhance feeding, breeding and roosting habitats for priority bird species through:
- Ensuring acceptance of the National Action Plans for Dalmatian Pelican, Pygmy Cormorant, Bittern, White-headed Duck and Ferruginous Duck;
- Creating resting and roosting platforms;
- Repairing the dyke system at “Atanassovsko” lake;
- Cleaning the illegal dump sites near the lakes.
Reduce the direct killing of birds in the Bourgas lakes through:
- Insulation of dangerous electricity infrastructure which causes electrocution of birds. This action will be implemented in cooperation with EVN Bulgaria;
- Creation of response plans for industrial accidents and construction of aviary for injured birds;
- Reducing of disturbances caused by poachers. This activity will be implemented together with local hunters and fishers.
Make the lakes accessible place for tourism and rest through:
- Developing modern interpretative education system revealing the uniqueness of the three lakes;
- Restoring and enlarging the boat quay at “Vaya” lake;
- Constructing of observation view points at “Atanassovsko” and “Vaya” lakes.
Enhance public understanding of and support for the conservation of the lakes and their inhabitants through:
- Applying the best practices and involving the best nature conservation specialists;
- Involving all the schools in the Bourgas region in five year education program;
- Involving the citizens of Bourgas in activities for the protection of the lakes;
- Organizing the traditional autumn student camps at “Atanassovsko” lake.
- Reduced rates of decline of the priority species - Dalmatian Pelican, Pygmy Cormorant, Bittern, White-headed Duck and Ferruginous Duck;
- Rehabilitated and improved habitats of the priority species;
- Created secure location for roosting of Dalmatian Pelican and Pygmy Cormorant;
- Created partnership with institutions from different branches and the citizens of Bourgas aimed at long term protection of species and habitats at Bourgas lake complex.
The total budget of the project is 1 775 006 euro. ECfinancialcontributionis 1 331 254 euro.
KonstantinGospodinov – Project Manager
tel.: 0879 531 015
MarianaValcheva – Communication Officer
tel.: 0879 523 016